Monday, December 10, 2007

Math Happy

Thank goodness for Google, my go-to for math questions that no one on my msn at the moment can answer. Such as "Why does m stand for slope?" and "I love pi. Where can I get a thong to show this?"

Feeling quotatious? Solve your math craving with some of these:


"Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas."
~ Albert Einstein

"Black holes result from God dividing the universe by zero."
~ Author Unknown

"I never did very well in math - I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally."
~ Calvin Trillin

"Math is radical!"
~ Bumper Sticker

"Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics."
~ Dean Schlicter

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."
~ Paul Erdos

"Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub."
~ Richard J. Trudeau

“Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.”
~Bertrand Russell

"Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes."
~ Mickey Mouse

"'Every minute dies a man, Every minute one is born;' I need hardly point out to you that this calculation would tend to keep the sum total of the world's population in a state of perpetual equipoise, whereas it is a well-known fact that the said sum total is constantly on the increase. I would therefore take the liberty of suggesting that in the next edition of your excellent poem the erroneous calculation to which I refer should be corrected as follows: "Every moment dies a man, And one and a sixteenth is born." I may add that the exact figures are 1.067, but something must, of course, be conceded to the laws of metre."
~ Charles Babbage, letter to Alfred, Lord Tennyson, about a couplet in his "The Vision of Sin"

"Math is fun!"
~ L Griffin, written at the top of the board before every class

Looking for a way to show that someone you are both smart and sophisticated? Count on these lines:

I don't know if you're in my range, but I'd sure like to take you home to my domain.

I wish I were a derivative so I could lie tangent to your curves.

My love for you is a monotonically increasing unbounded function.

Your beauty defies real and complex analysis.

You and I add up better than a Riemann sum.

Hey baby, what's your sine?

If I were sine squared and you were cosine squared together we'd be one.

Are you the square root of 2? Because I feel irrational when I am around you.

Ever wonder what L’Hopital’s rule has to say about limits in the form of me over you?

Nice calculator. Wanna iterate?

How can I know so many hundreds of digits of pi and not the digits of your phone number?



Now if I can only actually do some math!

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com