Tuesday, February 17, 2009

New: having but lately come or been brought into being

Speaking of new things, I now have a new favourite blog (besides my friends' of course): Sociological Images. Don't let the name fool you, it's not boring, bland, or textbook-like. Though I'm sure that some sociology profs draw from this, it's these interesting pictures taken every day that makes us question or think a little deeper about the society we live in. And at this point in our lives (or maybe for the rest of our lives) I think it's important to not be so stoic. Because really you miss out on a lot of things if you don't allow your perpective to change.

Anyways while going through some of the archives, this really struck me. Ever since the women's studies class I started taking last year (but dropped out because I was being an idiot - still am) really made me rethink issues such as feminism, sex, and gender. And since I am a woman biologically and genderly (a word?) and heterosexual to boot, things that are and have been an issue for some are news to me. See Forays Into The Men's Room from Genderkid, a funny but striking post on such issues. But I wander off topic.

What I'm trying to say is to check this out:


http://contexts.org/socimages/2009/01/30/on-being-genderqueer
Sociological Images has the transcript which makes it easier to understand, especially with the speaking fast and the audience noise.

I love it.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com