Thursday, January 04, 2007

Highlight of Online Correspondence

Okay I know I'm doing physics but I just noticed that they added a feature of having your own blog, which I thought was kinda cool. It must be just new because even though I noticed it no one else seemed to (or at least have written an entry). Except one who's a teacher and I thought it was so cute I wanted to share it with you!

Love and Chemistry: Psych 020

This post is brought to you by Biology 12. In the first practice assignment of the course (which was not written by me), one finds this question:

"28. Draw a diagram illustrating how two hydrogen atoms bond together. Why do they stick together (love?)?"

[JC]* had this to say in response:

"The above is a diagram of two hydrogen atoms, covalently bonded to complete their valence electrons. They tend to remain together in the interests of forming a stable molecule. Whether this constitutes a valid definition of love is explored further in Psychology 020."

Here in this blog I'd like to explore this topic further, because it's an interesting thought.... Are atoms capable of love? What is love?

Well, I did a little research in the online dictionary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Most of the definitions had to do with affection for someone or something, passion, or sex. I did find, however, one definition that may be of use to chemists:

"love 18. to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight."

If this is our working definition of love, I think we can say that atoms love each other. In the case of our two hydrogen atoms who are unfulfilled - they each have an incomplete valence - they each need another electron to fill the void and make them stable. They benefit greatly from each other when they form a covalent bond and share electrons.

There it is: atom love.

Class dismissed.
mrs. H

*name changed to protect identity

Have you hugged an atom today?

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com